Friday, March 6, 2009

Ephemera...Not for the Faint of Heart


So, I'm new to the world of vintage/antique ephemera. But I believe my new-est vintage addiction could have been foretold. I've always loved keeping papers. Souvenir postcards, tickets, photos..and more!!
I love vintage photos. It's anonymous..but the people are real! They really lived. Who were they? What kinds of jobs did they have? Who was their best friend? How long did it take them to pick out the clothes they are wearing in the snap?

Another popular vintage ephemera item is color plates from vintage books. Color illustrations of plants, botanical prints, encyclopedia images, and more!
One surprising collectible is medical ephemera. People seem to love the framable pictures from old medical books, depicting brains, hearts....and more. Great pictures for your favorite doctor's office!!
All of this ephemera is great for framing! Or some collect images for their stash to use in collages or altered art pieces. Vintage children's book pages are great for this.
Recently someone in the Etsy forums called my new condition.."ephemer-itis". There's no known cure..and it's catchy! So look out!!

2 comments:

Marsi @ The Cottage Cheese said...

Fun post, I love ephemera! I spend lots of time digging through boxes at estate sales, and I'm always happy to find little recipe booklet type ephemera stuck in the cookbooks that I buy and sell. I keep those for myself!

jenscloset said...

I love old photographs! I love your photograph of the couple! thank you so much for visiting my blog!